This is the latest test release. If all goes well it will go live early next week!
Lobby, two maps, and the MG
We've thrown away the in-game lobby we had until now, and we've replaced it with something similar to Call of Combat v1. This is a first version, and it will evolve quickly in future updates with improvement such as integration with Discord chat, statistics windows, automatic game patcher, etc...
We also have two brand new maps, one is a remake of good old Headquarters, and the other one is a new design by @VladV95, called Factory. They are functional, but the looks is not finished on either map, expect improvements in later updates.
Last but not least, we've added an early Machine Gun implementation. We initially wanted more features for it, but we've cut them down in favor of the Lobby. In future updates we will bring these features and improve the machine gun based on your feedback.
This is a test release
This is one of our biggest update yet, this is why it has been a while since we released an update. Bear in mind this is a test release, v0.67 is still available in case this one has major breaking bugs. If everything goes well, we will simply turn this into an official release, otherwise, if there are game breaking bugs, we will make a new release.
Possibly asked question
In case you are wondering: "why the hell did you evil developers not include this lobby from the beginning?", well the answer is a bit fuzzy. We initially wanted to rebuild the game from the ground up, but the somewhat limited UI options in Unity made it lot of work to bring the lobby to the level of functionality of v1. Three weeks weeks ago, Florian and I sat down and started discussing the technical disadvantages of restructuring Divided We Fall, and making it work with a modernized version of Call of Combat's good old lobby. Almost every point he brought up were either easy to overcome or actual advantages compared to the Unity lobby. It was a lot of work, but making a new lobby from the ground up in the new engine would have been far more work even! This is when we decided to focus this update on it. It made us excited of all the community options we will be able to implement somewhat easily, and we hope you will be as excited as we are.
Reminder of everything that is coming in the next releases (in no particular order):
- Improved LMG modelling
- Revamped animations
- Officer ranks (given out by Regiment CO's/XO's to mvp's)
- Integration of Discord chat into the lobby chat
- Lobby improvements (statistics in particular)
- Regiment leveling (earn points by playing regiments games to grow your regiment in term of CO rank, maximum size, officer capacity)
- More weapons (smoke grenades, mortars)
- More maps (we're currently cooking some surprises there)
- More game modes
- More nations (British, Russians, civil fighters, etc...)
- New trailer
- Release the game on Steam Early Access
- In-game chat improvement
- Revamp animations
- So much more
- OSX (coming soon...)
- Linux (coming soon...)
+- 300MB download
v0.68 12th May 2016
Improvements and new features
- Removed Unity lobby and replaced it with a modernized version of v1
- Added Factory and Headquarters maps (Art is still in progress, there will be prettier versions in later releases)
- Added MG weapon (preliminary design)
- Fixed a bug where enemies spotted by subordinates would show up as huge arrows on the strategic view
- Fixed a bug where pressing a key down just before the loading screen would make that key stick
- Fixed a bug where attempting to throw a grenade while in sniper mode would break controls
v0.681 12th May 2016
- Released an update that fixes a map switching bug